The Decade of Behavior initiative is firmly rooted in the behavioral and social science community. The initiative includes a broad base of supporters who are participating in its continuing evolution:
National Advisory Committee
A panel of distinguished scientists spanning the behavioral and social science disciplines who guide the Decade of Behavior.
- Developed the framework for the Decade, including: identifying its themes and goals, involving policymakers and scientific organizations, effecting public outreach, and planning initial activities.
- Continues to oversee progress and plan future programs.
- Helps foster links with scientific societies, academic departments, and federal agencies; helps generate congressional support for the initiative and for the behavioral and social sciences in general; and advises on coordinating fundraising efforts.
- Membership rotates on a three-year term basis.
The "steam" that keeps the Decade running in each respective discipline and region of the world.
- Develop new activities relating to the Decade's themes, draw current projects under the Decade umbrella, and collaborate in ongoing Decade programs.
- Ever-growing list currently includes over 70 national and international organizations.
- Represent the disciplines of anthropology, education, geography, linguistics, political science, psychology, sociology, preventive medicine, nursing, and public health.
Committee of Organization Representatives
- The "workhorse" of the Decade initiative.
- Offers endorsing societies a regular venue to participate in Decade governance and infrastructure.
- Provides input on current programs, develops new activities, discusses funding strategies, and targets ways to include society members in the Decade initiative.
- Meets monthly in Washington DC.
Council of Federal Liaisons
Senior administrators from a number of funding and research agencies who provide additional advice and support for developing Decade activities.
The clearinghouse for all Decade-related activities.
- Coordinates meetings of the National Advisory Committee and the involvement of Participating Organizations, the Council of Federal Liaisons, and other participants.
- Administers ongoing Decade programs, such as the Distinguished Lecture Series, Policy Seminars, and Exploring Behavior Week.
- Serves to foster the development of new programs by participating organizations.
- Circulates publicity, maintains the web site, and provides administrative support for the initiative.